The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) has defined pediatric dentistry as follows: “Pediatric dentistry is an age-defined speciality that provides both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral healthcare children of all age categories, also, children with unique healthcare needs.
Your child’s happy smile is precious. In order to ensure it stays bright and strong, you must take them to a pediatric dentist regularly. Pediatric dentists offer care, carry out research, and teach at a various clinics and institutions (private and public). They work along with other healthcare providers and members of social disciplines for the well-being of children.
The main goal of many pediatric dentists is to have expertise in dental, oral, or maxilofacial. Pediatric dentistry covers a wide range of disciplines, techniques, procedures, and skills. These have commonalities with other specialities, however, are tweaked and adapted as per the individual needs of infants, children, teenagers, and also those who have special healthcare requirements.
As a speciality that caters to a particular age group, pediatric dentistry covers disciplines which include behavior guidance, patient care with medical issues and physical and developmental disabilities, supervision of orofacial growth and development, cariers prevention, sedation, pharmacological management, and hospital dentistry, along with other traditional fields of dentistry.
These skills are used to tend to children’s needs all through their development years and for treating conditions and diseases that only children are prone to.
Types of Pediatric Dental Procedures
At Radiant Star Dental Services, we offer a wide range of dental treatments as we understand that each child is different and so is their dental need. Following are the key pediatric dental services we offer:-
- Tooth cleaning and preventive care: We advise that you get your child examined by our pediatric dentist every six months. This way they get their teeth cleansed and also, apprised of their personal dental hygiene skills. This also allows dentist to keep an eye out on the children’s oral health and keep a watchful eye. This is important as spotting problems at an early stage enables them to get treatment as and when it’s easy and suits their budget.
- Fluoride treatment: This treatment helps in strengthening your child’s teeth. It also helps in preventing cavities and discourages the building up of tartar and plaque.
- Tooth fillings: In case your child’s teeth gets decayed or injured, a filling can be done to ensure that it remains stable and functions well.
- Sealants: A thin layer of resin-based material or a sealants are bonded to the chewing surfaces of teeth. It is used for protecting the areas of teeth which are hard to clean from decaying. It also limits the risk of cavities by 80%.
- Bonding: This is a fast, easy process of fixing teeth which are crooked, chipped or discolored. At the time of the procedure, the dentist transforms a white resin and places it directly on the tooth for repairing any flaws.
- Tooth Extraction: This is done if the tooth is very severely damaged and beyond repair, hence an extraction is required to remove it.
- Crowns: These are made of steep or porcelain and used for replacing the other portion of the tooth. It is used when a damaged tooth is not resilient enough to be held together using just a filling. It can be used for restoring both the tooth’s look and function.
- Emergencies: Dental emergencies are bad as in certain cases, a delayed treatment can mean a loss of a tooth which could have been saved. Many pediatric dentists motivate patients to reach out in case of dental emergency. As per the situation, the dental staff might offer instructions and direct the patient to schedule an appointment or might advise them to seek prompt treatment elsewhere.
At Radiant Star Dental Services, we offer dental treatment for all age groups, right from children to adults in Jamaica. We are a trusted name in Jamaica and can be readily reached by calling us on (718) 739-6961/6962 or visiting us at 88-20 169th Street, Corner of 89th Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11432.